Sustainable high performance wood
Ideal for windows, doors, cladding, decking and many more applications
Accoya® wood is a high performance wood. Created from sustainably-sourced wood, Accoya® undergoes a proprietary, non-toxic acetylation process that permanently modifies the wood to the core.
The result: an environmentally friendly solid wood with durability, dimensional stability and beauty that matches or exceeds even the best tropic hardwood.
Accoya® wood is sourced from sustainable sources, including FSC® and has class leading environmental credentials such as Cradle to Cradle™ Gold certification by the highly prestigious McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC) organization.
Accoya® wood is perfect for demanding applications such as windows and doors, where it is important that tolerances are tight yet regardless of the conditions, they open year round. Accoya® is perfect for siding where wood’s natural beauty is desired, but sustainability and high performance are of the utmost importance. In decking, where it is important that boards do not warp, twist, bow split, Accoya® is up to the challenge.
Features & Benefits
Extensive laboratory and field testing by leading institutes around the world (including in New Zealand, USA, UK, Sweden, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Netherlands and Japan) has shown the performance of acetylated wood to be extremely reliable. Accoya® wood has been thoroughly tested for dimensional stability, durability, paint retention and in-ground conditions to ensure optimal performance. Indeed, it is so reliable that for many years it has been – and continues to be – used by scientists as the benchmark against which other treatments and modifications are measured.
- Swelling and shrinkage reduced by 75% or more
- Doors and windows open effortlessly year round
- Reduced maintenance costs
- Lasting 50 years above ground, 25 years in ground/freshwater Class 1 durability, surpassing even teak
- Virtually rot proof
- 70 year minimum service life stated by TRADA
- Improved stability means coatings last up to two times longer
- Easier to coat, less preparation and sanding required
Features & Benefits
- Offers improved insulation in comparison with commonly used hardwood and softwood species
- Ideal for applications where energy conservation is important
- Easy to machine and process
- No special tools are required
- Indigestible to a wide range of insects, including termites
- Greatly reduced vulnerability
- Consistent, measurable modification quality from surface to core
- No need to apply chemical preservatives when cut or planed
- Process does not compromise the wood’s natural beauty
- From FSC, PEFC and other regionally certified woods
- Naturally renewable
- The process does not compromise the wood’s strength
- Hardness is increased
- High strength to weight ratio makes it suitable for challenging applications
- Protects the environment from the harmful effects of common treatments
- May be safely reused, recycled and incinerated
- Ideal for all decking situations in extreme temperatures
- Low thermal gain
- Splinters are much less than other wood species when used for decking